Reading & Research
This page includes the following information:
- Contact a Librarian
- Interlibrary Loan
- Job Search Links
- Tax Information
- Homeschooling Links
- Reading Ideas
- Talking Books
- History Room
Contact A Librarian
Staff is available to help you answer your questions or assist you in finding information for research. We also provide access to several research databases.
Contact Us Form
Through a partnership with the Kansas State Library, downloadable eBooks that you can put on your portable device and enjoy anywhere.Once a book is due, it simply disappears from your device. However, just like a physical book we only have a certain number of copies of most digital titles. If a book is currently checked out, you may place a hold on the item.
You don't need to have a portable e-reader to take advantage of the service. In fact, some portable devices require that you first download a title to a computer and then transfer it to the device.
To access the Kansas eBooks you will need:
- A valid state library card. This is different than your Chanute Public Library card, but you will need to come into the building to obtain one.
- Access to the Internet.
- The free software for the device or computer on which you wish to use your EZ Library items.
- A valid email address so you can be notified when your titles are available for download.
If we do not have the particular book or article you need, ask us to borrow it for you from another Kansas library. It is helpful to provide as much information as you can about the item you wish to loan.
Job Search Links
Kansas Job Searches
At this time we no longer receive tax forms from the State of Kansas. During tax season we will have forms sent to us from The Federal Tax office available in the lobby. We also have a hard copy of a number of Federal Tax forms behind the Adult Circulation Desk. Copes of those forms are available at out standard copying costs.
Kansas Department of Revenue
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- The Book Hive - Find books that kids themselves recommend.
- Guys Read - Book ideas just for boys.
- Juvenile Series and Sequels - Have you ever wondered what book is next in your favorite series? Do you want to know if a favorite book has a sequel? This web page, from Mid-Continent Public Library System, has the answers.
- Kids Point - Books, music and movie reviews for kids.
- Kids Reads - Booker T. Worm will help you find the perfect book.
- Booklights - PBS Parents blog all about children's books.
- The World of Reading - Book reviews written by kids.
- BookSpot - Book lists, reviews, online books, podcasts and more.
- Children’s Book Council - The non-profit trade association of publishers of Children’s and Young Adult books.
- Children’s Picture Book Database at Miami University - This site allows teachers, parents and librarians to search for picture books on a specific topic.
- ELSIE: Early Literacy Storytime Exchange - The ELSIE database allows you to search for picture books based on the six early literacy skills children need to develop before they enter school.
- Kidslitosphere - This website provides a comprehensive list of children's and young adult literature blogs.
- Lexile Reading Level Book Search - Using this tool from the Lexile Framework for Reading website, you can search for books by Lexile range, author, title or keyword.
- Reading Rockets - This site includes activities, lessons and tips on helping young children learn to read.
- The John Newbery Medal - Awarded annually to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
- The Randolph Caldecott Medal - Awarded annually to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
- The Coretta Scott King Award - Given to African American authors and illustrators for outstanding inspirational and educational contributions, the Coretta Scott King Book Award titles promote understanding and appreciation of the culture of all peoples and their contribution to the realization of the American dream.
- The Pura Belpre Medal - Presented to a Latino/Latina writer and illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth.
- The Theodor Seuss Geisel Award - The Geisel Award is given annually to the author(s) and illustrator(s) of the most distinguished American book for beginning readers published in English in the United States during the preceding year.
- The Laura Ingalls Wilder Medal - The Wilder Award honors an author or illustrator whose books, published in the United States, have made, over a period of years, a substantial and lasting contribution to literature for children.
- The Robert F. Sibert Medal - The Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Medal is awarded annually to the author(s) and illustrator(s) of the most distinguished informational book published in English during the preceding year.
- The Mildred L. Batchelder Award - The Batchelder Award is awarded to an American publisher for a children's book considered to be the most outstanding of those books originally published in a foreign language in a foreign country, and subsequently translated into English and published in the United States.
- Reading Rants! Out of the Ordinary Teen Booklists!
- Best Books for Young Adults
- Outstanding Books for the College Bound
- Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults
- Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers
- New York Times Best Seller's List
- Washington Post Book Reviews and News
- Kansas City Star Books
- USA Today Book Reviews Etc...
- Library Thing
- Book Rabbit
- Good Reads
The Federal Government provides, free of charge, special books on tape for those with visual impairment or other physical disability. Applications may be picked up at the Chanute Public Library.
- Hours: Open during our regular business hours.
- Resources: Contact Genealogy Society - Betty Barnhart 620-431-1616, Lois Lester 620-754-3360, Marge Davis 620-431-4747
- Chanute Newspaper on microfilm beginning in 1871
- Index to Obituaries
- School District Yearbooks
- Directory of Neosho County Cemeteries
- Civil War Information
- Marriages 1864-1948
- Probate Records
- Variety of photos relevant to the region
- Vertical File of general information on the area
- Statewide contact information for various documentation